Saturday 29 November 2008

TDP: The Lives of Others

Having a film like the lives of others on the list was always going to cause problems. I wanted to watch this film from the first time I heard about it. But when are you in the mood for a Stasi based thriller? By a stroke of luck two of my friends, one German, one Austrian, were in a similar position. Both knew about the film but had like myself had missed it on its release. This was perfect. My knowledge of european politics is terrible and having watch the Baader-Mienhof Komplex a week ago I was eager to learn.

I saw the film like a Shakespearean tragedy. At the start of the film all the main players are in near full support of the incumbent political system. With only a sniff of corruption and rebellion. Subtly but surely the fabric starts to unwind. The three leads are brilliant. The Stasi office is outstanding. My only complaint with the film would be the final 10 minutes. Which take place after the wall has come down and are quite melodramatic, unbelievable and really makes light out of the tension that the film builds. Although I must add that having two people who knew a lot about the issues on hand to talk to afterwards was a great help to understanding where the film was accurate and where it took liberties.

Would I recommend the film? Yes, to everyone. Especially someone with an interest in the subject.

Yes I did like this film and I will certainly watch it again. Just as soon as I find a pair of german speaking central europeans affected by the soviet influence in post war politics.

No comments: