Thursday 27 November 2008

TDP: Syriana

Part two in story of 'the dvd pile': Part four, Syriana. First I feel like I should justify way Syriana is in the pile. I bought it a long time ago having heard good things about it. Sadly I was in a bit of a ADHD mood the day I sat down to watch it. This meant that after the first 15 minutes hadn't grasped my entire attention I started messing around and very quickly I was barely watching the film at all. Once it had finish I just assumed that I was the films fault for being dull not mine for being hyperactive. This time around I had spent an hour playing football earlier so hopefully I would be more subdued.

I'd sum up Syriana as a subtle Crash about the oil business instead of racism. But did I like it? Would I recommend it? and will I watch it again? These really are the questions that tell you everything about how you feel about a film.


I did like it, but I didn't love it. It's certainly very well made and the story is top class. The acting can't really be faulted, but there is the question of why Clooney got fat for the part. But everything is too subdued, it feels as if you are watching from a distance. There are a few times in the film where really huge things happen and we don't seem to pause at all to take it in. The pace of the film just continues at exactly the same rate. Which means that the ending, which is thought provoking and exactly right for the film, is rushed over with no time to savour it.

Would I recommend it? Yes, to almost everyone. The eco friendly message of the film isn't rammed down your throat like an inconvenient truth. Also I think my problems with it a possibly just a matter of taste. And I think I will watch it again. I get a strong impression that you see more this film the more I will see in it. Just got to think of a name for the pile it is going into.

Here is the imdb page.

No comments: